The 5th Wave review





 
I spent last Saturday night watching The 5th Wave. I didnt intend to catch it on cinema because the review wasnt that great. Instead, I read the book.
I wasnt familiar with the author's writing so I had difficult time to read and run with his pace. It was so abstract and I had to reread same chapter twice to fully understand. Sad. I even intended to read Indonesian version of the book and asked my aunt for it.
The 5th Wave is a term for apocalypse wave in which the 1st wave is lights out, 2nd wave is tsunami, 3rd wave is pestilence, 4th wave is silencers (or snipers).
The plot itself is satisfying but why many people said it's not? I mean, I imagine if this happened in real life.... *goosebumps*. The twist in the last quarter of the movie is actually good.
I think if Hitler be born again and live in America, he'd do this kind of ugly conducts. Sadly, Hitler in this movie called Vosch. He is so hateful (and the actor is already play as bad guy before in Salt) so it's not hard for me to hate Vosch when he makes his first appearance in the movie. He's effective, so darn on point with his plan to eliminate human beings. Kind of like Kingsman of Secret Service, remember? But Kingsman is the comedy one while The 5th Wave is drama movie.
I kinda dislike the cinematography. The scene is clear and bright and I dont find any special thing about it. I believe each movie get a sprinkle of suitable filter that makes it more alive (or so I think). And this movie is like the one you can watch in  television. Even American's tv drama series include special filter on their scenes. I'm not sure if it's the right term to say, 'filter', but I kinda 'meh' to the movie who doesnt have its special filter. Filter is like what you have on instagram before you upload pictures. For instance, I like 500 Days of Summer filter, it's old school. And then, Interstellar with its modern look. The Help with its vintage neighborhood. Flipped with 60s filter. So, that these movie seem alive and it satisfies my aesthetic feels. And also, I think this is what makes movie critics underestimates this movie and call it 'fail'.
The romantic lines cant help either. When Evan said a romantic line to Cassie, I cant help but cringe to the bone. It's like out of place. Thriller but the lack of gesture cant back up the romantic line. Just, nah.
Maybe, it's not only the filter, the way they shoot scenes too (it's plain). But I love looking at Ben Parish! Evan Walker is too stoic and why lookin Ringer so emo? I dont think every girl with I-hate-everyone attitude dress up with black eyeliner and raven hair (?).
Anyway, will the 2nd book get into the movie? I like Infinite Sea more than The 5th Wave.

 
pic source: pinterest 
 
 
Playlist:
Lykke Li - Sadness is A Blessing
Adele - Cant Let Go
SM Station Kim Bumsoo - 서툰 시 (Pain Poem)

CONVERSATION

0 komentar:

Back
to top