Kapal Van Der Wijck



The third week of January, I met a group of friends and we decided to enter the cinema to watch Tenggelamnya Kapal Van Der Wijck (TKVDW). If I’m not mistaken, it’s been 2-3 weeks since the release. One of my mate who watched the premiere really nudged me to watch the movie asap. Why? Nope, I banned him to tell me why I should watch it, no spoiler please. It would spoil the excitement. Just one word from him: it was GREAT and you SHOULD check it out.

Well, okay. I aint really a fan of Indonesian movie, to be honest. The last Indo movie I watched in cinema really really disappointed me. It’s like I watched television drama, the kind of movie that made you frowning all the way out from the cinema and you couldnt help but think ‘I want my money back!’. Well.  

So, I decided not to spend any penny to watch Indo movie… unless the review was great or…  someone else spend it for me. HAHA. Yeah, I am that kind of stingy Aries, everybody!
But then this friend of mine had her birthday several days ago and decide to treat us meal and movie tickets. *hurray*

We entered the cinema a few minutes late and the great scenery greeted us. The beginning of the movie was really breathtaking, the view of Indonesian scenery. I was drooling mentally and cursing how they'd be able capture the moment beautifully? I… 

Wow.
I wish I had my cellphone camera on the ready and took some pictures. But no. I was too stunned by the pretty view before me. And also it's illegal to take pics inside the theatre.

I must say that the photography director is really genius. I’ve been waiting for this kind of movie made by Indonesian genius that capture breathtaking scenery of our land and put it into a sweet package then let the audience enjoy it. There are so many foreign movies capturing their own countries’ beauty and I can just sit still and admire the scenery, I can’t help but wish to go there somewhere. Even 500 Days of Summer, that captures New York City (not pretty landscape consists of natural scenery or something like that), captivated my heart.  That’s the good work of the director, hands down everyone.

As for the characters, I personally like how Reza Rahardian portrayed his character here. I paid attention even the smallest gesture when he stepped up and pulled his wife in the scene where Pevita Pearce wailing over the sick Herjunot after the marriage. He carried out the gesture flawlessly. It’s like I believe he stood by the door, patiently waited for Pevita soothing the ill Herjunot. Unlike the kind of gesture that carried out by actor/actress in tv drama. If we must compare the same gesture, the actor in the tv drama looks like he waits by the door because the script said so. See what I mean? The dedicated actor will carry out the natural gesture based on the situation he’s in, not because the script made him to. I’ve grown to observe these little gestures by watching various tv drama and movies. And Reza Rahardian’s acting really deserves the biggest award (PS: he won the latest Best Actor Award on FFI).
Herjunot wasn’t that bad. He talked in native accent and it was refreshing to see this different side of him. Fiuh, I almost believe that he’s Minang native. Or maybe he really is? I don’t know. The changing emotion that he portrayed; between love-struck, heartbroken, painful-to-see-your-crush-from-afar, lightened-by-hope, and other expression; deserves thumbs up. He’s grown into a handsome and great actor. The only movie of his I watched is Realita Cinta Rock & Roll. Oh and 5cm movie. His acting in RCRR caught my attention though, he seemed so rebel and was so effing skinny there.
Pevita Pearce.. the main female character, she’s so young and she needs to learn more about acting. Well, it’s not that she’s not that great but I see her acting needs to fix here and there. But nevertheless, I think no one is suitable for the character but her. She looked bashful and innocent girl from Minangkabau and then she turned into the pretty rich wife with the make up and all. She’s painfully pretty in the scene where she danced in the ball with her new husband. Her native accent was great too.

I’d give 3 stars of 5 stars for this movie. So much for the beautiful scenery of our mother nature. I didn’t really like the plot though. Sure, the movie which based on novel is to make critic over Minangkabau culture (see more in here) and Hayati seemed so weak. If it’s not for the beautiful scenery, this movie is just the same at every other movie. Oh, I forget to mention about the scoring. The editor made a great job to put songs into certain scenes. Nidji had an excellent music for the movie. Check this out. I like the main theme: Sumpah Mati by Nidji. It's grande and yet heartbreaking song. 

I wish I could go to the beautiful places like in the movie someday.

PS: from the beginning to the middle of the movie, I went on and on asking, ‘Where’s the ship?  I don’t see Van Der Wijck yet?’ to my friend on my left side. She sighed and emphasized the words, ‘Later, big sis, later! Just be patient.’ Haha. 


CONVERSATION

0 komentar:

Back
to top